Monday, September 10, 2012

Start to Finish

A friend recently gave me a veal shoulder.  An entire veal shoulder.  (Yes it is probably one of those cute baby cows that has made an appearance here before).  I have never butchered meat before.  Doesn't mean I can't learn.  So in my googling of information, there was nothing really helpful, it seems not many people butcher entire pieces of cows anymore, even on youtube.  So I went looking for how my brain works, and found a site that listed cuts my muscle names.  I am a big, fat dork.

From butchering I went on to make a gorgeous stock, and ended up with 10 pounds of meat.  Holy cow.  (<--that's funny).  Then I went on to make some Veal Saltimbocca with sauteed spinach, served with some pastas in a lemon olive oil sauce.

that's an 8" chef knife for perspective

why yes, I did lay the muscles out just like the leg

reiteration of the fact that I am a dork

stock....I see some french onion soup in my future

The pieces of veal salimbocca

Dinner :)

No comments:

Post a Comment