Thursday, September 13, 2012

Peakbagging

I have been camping before.  Quite a few times in fact.  I swear, I do know what I'm doing.  I've done 10 days out at a time.  Not that anyone would have any clue whatsoever every this camping trip!!!

I had planned on going camping for 3 days.  (For all those wondering I do work.  I work weekends, and on call, and until 9pm or later sometimes.  The exchange is some 3 day weekends of which I take full advantage!)  Then Al was able to get tickets to footy finals....so I went camping for one day.  I went towards Flinders Ranges and decided to "peakbag" (the words used to describe it on the park map) Mount Remarkable.  It's 995m tall and a 12km trail.  

I drove up in wind, rain, more wind, downpour rain.  Tried to wait out rain.  Camp sites were a bog.  Found a dry one.  Head light didn't work (**first timer tip, check your damn batteries; **second tip bring extra batteries).  So trying to set up tent  (**third tip, pay attention to wind direction) using car headlights.  I can NOT believe I was one of THOSE PEOPLE.  I was lazy and did piss poor job of staking.  Tim (if he reads this) is having a heart attack right now.  I know, I know I was taught better.  They were staked, but the ground was hard, and I was wet and tired.  Finally crawled in tent.  I love the smell of the tent and sound of stretching plastic.  Crawled into my sleeping bags and passed out.  Only to be awoken at 3am as my tent was pulled from the ground and rolled me over.  So then I had to get out of tent and restake it in the wind.  Good times.  The rest of the night was listening to the freight trains coming and then waiting for it to hit.

Woke up and went to start hiking.  (**pro tip, bring a map)  I started the hike and realized I was walking away from the ONLY tall thing around.  Turned around.  Walked back the mile (**pro tip, if it seems like you're wrong, double check earlier).  Then hiked my pretty mountain.  I may have taken a wrong spur on the way down as well......

Great hike, didn't get views at the top due to said storm, but a good 8 mile hike.  Then I took a nice, sunny road trip back.

Sunrise



view from the hike

Some sort of vetch...Ann would be proud

995 meters high, highest I've been on land since March




I believe this is a kookaburra 




No comments:

Post a Comment