Saturday, September 15, 2012

Perception

I've gotten some questions and comments about how I do all that I'm doing.

"Don't you work?"
"How can you afford XYZ?"
"You're always doing something." (That one is probably true)
"You're going to ABC by yourself?!?!?"

I think this all comes down to perception.  What you see here is the fun stuff, the good stuff, the highlights, etc.  I don't post pictures of the days I do nothing.  I don't tell stories about work both for privacy reasons, but also not all of you want to read about vomiting anal sacs (thanks for that one Tom).  I debated even posting this, but I think some are genuinely curious.

So yes I do work.  Less than I was in the States when I was doing relief, and overnight, and Eddie Bauer.  The clinic is open 7 days a week and open 8a-8p.  I'm on call 2 nights a week.  So there are weeks that I work 50 hours and have on call.  The trade off is the longer weekends.  When I get those long weekends, I am off and running.  I don't have kids.  I don't have a house to take care of and maintain.  I don't have a garden to tend.  I don't have family to visit.  Currently I don't even have a pet.  So buhbye, see you later.

As to affording what I do.... I made a decision when I moved 10,000 miles that I wasn't moving and doing nothing.  One of the things I've missed the most during my 4 years of post vet school and making ends meet was the travel.  It's important to me.  I give up a lot to do it though.  I don't know what size clothes or shoes I wear in Oz.  Because I haven't bought any.  I have been here 6 months and haven't bought a single item of clothes.  I have a smaller, not-as-nice-as-I-could-have place.  Didn't turn my heat on most of the winter (it was 62 in the flat, so not too bad).  I have a crap car without cruise, the stick on the "other" side I had to learn, that has a radio that I can't change the station on.  Unless I have a reason, I only buy the cheap wine, and haven't bought any spirits for my house (and at 60-100 AUD a bottle it's easy to not want to!).  I've even taken a room mate (E1 just left, and E2 moves in this week!!).  When I travel I cut costs where I can.  I sleep on floors and in hostel dorm rooms.  I take 6am flights.  I go to surf camp in the middle of winter.  I eat a massive, nice lunch and then don't bother with dinner.  I make a list of what do I absolutely want from this city/activity and then do that.  Everything else is budgeted around that.  So while I do many things, only the good stuff is making it here.  So while I love that people think I must have a ton of money to spend, it is all perception ;)

I also get asked how do I do these things?  The short answer is I say yes.  Want to go surf in Artic waters in winter? Sure.  Want to go for a flight above South Australia? Sounds great.  Want to go bowl with your favorite band and drink whiskey with them? Absolutely.  Want to meet an old friend on an island to go dive? Yup.  Want to go on a date with a calendar firefighter(always a good choice)/lawyer(so far always a bad choice)/doctor/pharmacist/jackaroo(cowboys seem to have the same issues no matter which continent)/millionaire(being rich doesn't keep you from being a douche)/22yo army guy(working out does a body good)/professor that got all the chili peppers on hot professors (he totally deserved them even if he didn't think so)  Yes.  Want to drink wine with the winery owner and his family all night? Of course.  None of these things were things I had planned or sought after.  When the opportunity arose, I took it.  I talk to people, really any one.  Everyone has something to teach you, even if it's what you don't want to be (ahem...JG for Frank).  That's how I do so many fun, weird things.

Lastly, and this is the one that actually irritates me, is do I this by myself? (I was told this paragraph was harsh, so sorry if it seems this way, but I get really, really tired of this question.  Especially since the chance of a man being asked this question isn't as likely)  What, exactly, would you (generic you) like me to do?  Wait to be rescued by Prince Charming?  Hope that I can find someone else that has the same budget, tastes, and travel habits that has off when I do?  Sit around on my arse and do nothing?  I don't understand the idea behind alone is bad?  I would love to travel with people (Emma and I's trip to Melbourne was awesome), but I can't have everything I want.  I would rather travel alone than not travel at all.  I fly by myself, hike by myself, camp by myself, and eat by myself.  Hell, I moved 10,000 miles by myself.   It hasn't killed me yet, and I've met some interesting people along the way.  So I'll keep doing what I'm doing, and if someday that changes that would be more than cool.  If the world could stop acting so shocked that in 2012 a mid-30s female chooses to be independent that would be awesome though...just sayin.

4 comments:

  1. I love that you wrote this! Its really no one's business how you manage to do all the things you do, they ask because they aspire to be you or are flat out jealous of you. The fact that you moved to an entirely different country is amazing! If I were a single girl I would envy your courage to pick up and go. You are an amazing woman who has an amazing free spirit! Who cares what the others think those of us that love and adore you are proud as F'ing hell of you for what you are doing. We just can't wait till you bring your butt home again so we can see all the great things you did while you were there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope that all that read this blog take the time to think about this entry. And if they do stop and think about it they will soon understand that the reason they do is that they are all either jealous of all you are and do or they are just envious of the courage and love of life that you show every day!

    ReplyDelete