I grew up meat and potatoes midwest. Meat, carb, canned vegi. Repeat. I was also the world's pickiest eater. From my memory things I would NOT eat include: onions, beans, fish, mushrooms, non white bread, non american cheese, salads, mayo, mustard, "ethnic" food of any kind, fresh vegetables, fruit besides apples, dark chocolate, ummm pretty much anything that wasn't a white starch or meat.
One of the reasons I started cooking was because I wanted to learn to like things. I hated going places and not eating, or picking at food. It didn't help that I was married to the least picky eater on earth. So slowly I learned to cook new things. I would pick one thing I didn't like and make things that only had one thing I didn't like. I kept trying things, over and over. (I also bargained foot massages for trying utterly gross things like oysters.) Now I will eat most things, no organ meat though (I know what the liver does, I don't need to eat it.). For my long time friends I will even eat sushi, mushrooms, and olives depending on how prepped.
So I've started cooking again now that I have my stuff!!! One recent escapade delved into my 660 Curries cookbook. The lamb was good (cheaper here than in the States) and the chickpeas were excellent. The chickpeas will go in the make again pile of recipes.
Speaking of recipes...I'll be happy to post them if people indicate they want them, but since I didn't set out to make this a food blog, I'll see what people are interested in....
| Dinner and some home brewed ale |
| I have fallen in love with self saucing puddings. I tried to make a small version. It tasted fine, didn't look so hot though. |
Love your Blogs :)
ReplyDeleteSelf Saucing puddings: the sauce sinks to the bottom - supposed to be served.. and then the sauce gets dribbled over :)
Have a squiz at my "Notes" on Facebook for simple things to cook too :)
I had never had them til I moved here. This was my attempt at an individual size (if I make the full size I'll just eat all of it!). Tasted fine, just boiled over ;)
Delete