Saturday, March 24, 2012

Working on it....

First off, sorry no pictures yet.  I have spent all my time with my boss and/or his wife.  I decided to not look like a total idiot and take pictures of things like grocery stores and the bank.

I'll try to catch everyone up (it's kind of hard to think these details are interesting to anyone but my parents, but apparently they are!).  My trip started off with United not being able to find my visa in Denver.  No visa=no flight.  Panic Practical Kelly stepped in, and it all got sorted out.  Flight itself was fine.  I am a simpleton--movies and Ambien make the world go 'round.

Arriving in Australia totally exhausted, and possible a slight bit overwhelmed, led to me crying at quarantine.  I was a good girl and claimed all the things I had with me.  Evidently Sudafed is banned here.  Then I couldn't find it.  Then I realized I forgot to claim Claritin.  More panic.  More tears.  In the end it was fine and they just told me to go on through.

Thursday was mostly doing not a lot.  Met my boss's family.  It is funny and eye opening to see Americans through the eyes of foreign children.  I brought some chocolate, and that seems to cross all barriers!

Yesterday was far more productive.  I have a bank account now.  I have a phone (not the iphone yet, need the bank account for that).  I drove the car and did not kill anyone.  Got some Tim Tams.  Went to the Adelaide Central Market.  I may be totally in love.  Picture Pike's Market in Seattle, but with more meat, cheese, and seafood and about 5 times the size.  And the Asian food court with Thai, Korean, Japanese, Malaysian, Chinese, Indian, and some others.  All of this sits on the edge of Chinatown.  I ate Laksa for the first time.  Evidently it's "very spicy".  Evidently they are gringos here.

Dinner was at a Vietnamese restaurant with my boss's extended Chinese family.  The quail was fantastic.  So was the BYOB Australian cellar door Shiraz.  Then movie night.  Imagine watching "The Help" with a 9 and 12 year-old who do not know anything about segregation and the South.  Eye opening.

Today I get to go look at apartments.  We'll see how this goes, as it involves more driving.  It's already been an odd experience.  Most apartments have a 15 minute window to "inspect" them less than once a week....coming from Denver where they trip over themselves to have you look...different.

Lastly, what so many of you care about.  Anyone who wants to get a hold of me has these choices:
Skype when I'm at the computer
I have a phone I can call out on for $0.30/minute or you can call me and it costs me nothing ;)
iMessage when I have wifi
Facetime when I have wifi
Facebook message/chat
Gmail message/email

Pictures to come, I swear!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks, Kelly! I really enjoyed your sharing your new life and, "oh, the places you'll go"! Lucky you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly + Giant central market = even more great recipes! Start of an awesome adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm... Tim Tams :) When you get around to Vegemite, I highly recommend a very thin layer on warm buttered toast.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my .... I think I would move IN to that market. Looks like you'll be eating well in your new home!

    ReplyDelete