Wednesday, June 13, 2012

A little edumacation

I am a huge dork.  I love museums of most any kind.  Other than art museums.  I know that's not very cultured of me.  The only art museums I've liked are the St. Louis Art Museum (an original 1904 World's Fair building), the Louvre, and this really weird museum in Germany.  That being said some of my favorite travel memories are museums/tours.
Imperial War Museum
Holocaust Museum
Smithsonian in general
Museum of London
Chicago Museum of Science and Industry
Chicago History Museum
Viking Center
Tower of London
Dublin Castle
Grand Palace
Rome in general, but the Colosseum in particular
and one of the most amazing places ever Pompeii

So all that being said, of course I'm looking for new museums here.  I had a weekday off a bit ago and went to South Australia Museum.  There are free tours there every day, so I took one.  It was National Reconciliation Week, which is essentially Australia for being complete jack @sses to the Aboriginals (not any different than USA and Native Americans).  The difference here is that like everything in Oz  they are 50 years behind.  There is a lot of animosity, and tight lippedness about the situation.  Back on track, the tour was focused on Aboriginals, which was nice because I learned a ton about everything from habitat, history, and current problems.

Spear thrower/water drinkers


Great Whites swim here!

various spears from different groups

bark boats

for my CLBB crew...dinner is served

a little more bush tucker

learned about returning versus non returning boomerangs

2 comments:

  1. Neat! I may need a boomerang soon. Which ones return?? Can you hit more than one target, say, the second target on the return??

    ReplyDelete