Friday, April 13, 2012

My sense of humor

Those that know me in person may say that my sense of humor is a bit dry, or sarcastic, or possibly a bit smart ass (<-- kinda like that).  I didn't get that way all on my own.  If any of you have been so lucky as to hang around my brother and/or father with me, you'll know that it's a family trait.

I was sitting with my grandfather on my last visit home in January while he got chemo.  He was joking with the nurse while she poked him with needles.  He asked her if she had any nice looking blonde friends he could chase when he felt better.  She laughed and told him no, not really.  His response?  "Good, I probably have forgotten what to do when I catch them anyway"  Here he is getting chemo that makes him sick and weak, yet still pulling jokes.  There's a chance I've been known to have a bit of that humor at the clinic....

My grandfather was also my Irish link, and I think we all know where my stance is on that.  His parents were born in County Roscommon and County Mayo.  They immigrated separately in the early 20s.  His father passed away shortly after he was born, and my grandfather lived in Dogtown, the traditional Irish area of St. Louis, with his mother and other family members.  The house he lived in is now under highway 40, buried in  concrete.

I've thought about these great-grandparents that I never met a lot these past few weeks.  I can only imagine what they went through.  I moved across the world, but I have phones, internet, email, face book, pictures, video, american newspapers/news.  I came as a professional, sponsored, with a job in place.  How scary it must have been for them.  Long trips by boat.  Letters could take weeks, not seconds for a chat.  I wonder if I stay (NO ONE FREAK OUT HERE, it's just an IF) would my possible kids, grandkids be as proud of their American heritage as I am of my Irish?

He served in the Pacific in WWII.  When he registered for the Navy there was some confusion.  Evidently it took multiple explanations that yes his mother's married name was Annie McGuire and yes, so was her maiden. It's Ireland, there's only so many names to be had!

He came back, raised four kids, ran his own business, and kept his golf buddies for decades.  He retired at least three or four times from his business of shoe making/repair.  He kept up the hobby of leatherwork until just a month ago.

He was diagnosed with metastasized osteosarcoma of his ribs in September (all my vet friends just went F$%*#).  He passed away Wednesday night.  I knew this was coming when I chose to leave, but it doesn't make it suck any less. I try to live with few regrets, but I do regret that I can't be there for my dad.

So thanks for my gift of gab, my love of a good story, the ability to enjoy a home brew (got one brewing even now), my sense of humor, my long skinny face....and if I could get the snow white full head of hair when the times comes, that would be awesome.

My favorite picture of all the boys.  My grandfather, dad, brother, and my nephews.  There's no family resemblance at all......


married to Betty Jane Steimel (1927-2010) for 64 years
father of 4
grandfather of 4
great-grandfather of 3





John Aubert McGuire December 13, 1925- April 11, 2012

4 comments:

  1. Kelly, so sorry for your loss. To have lived, loved, prospered, and passed with such grace is truly beautiful. I know how broken your heart must be to be so far away from your family now, but if you keep your grandpa in your heart, you will never be alone. My thoughts are with you. Love you. Vicki.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kelly, I to am sorry for your loss. I knew your grandfather through you and your family, he was truely a great man and he was and is still loved my his family and friends, of which I am lucky to be one of his friends. I played golf with your grandfather everytime I got to come back to St Louis for a visit. I during the golf games and during our family visits I never heard him say a bad thing about anybody. I fell very lucky to have gotten the chance to know John. Just remember Kelly that he will always be with you in your heart, and he will never be forgotten by his family or his friends.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kelly,

    I am so sorry about your Grandfather. I wish I could be there for you now as you were for me when my Dad died a year ago. May the road rise to meet you. May the wind be always at your back. The sun shine warm upon your face, the rain fall soft upon your fields, and until we meet again, may God hold you in the palm of his hands. (Irish Blessing) Bruce & I Love You! Beautifully written euology to your Grandfather.

    ReplyDelete