Sunday, April 22, 2012

Clare Valley

Warning, this post is gonna be picture heavy!  I've had the best weekend I've had in months.  I had three days off and so I went up to Clare Valley, a wine making area about 90 minutes north of Adelaide.  

Friday morning I went and bought my bike (pictures are below someplace), and then headed up.  I actually got to hit 110 km/hr!!!  Normal speed limit in the city is a whopping 60...aka slow.  I stayed at a dirt cheap country hotel, also known as a pub.  From there I set off on the Riesling Trail.  First I visited Kirrihill, and then headed to Tim Adams.  There I spoke with the woman pouring my wines and asked where to eat dinner.  She let me know they had a tapas restaurant in Clare that was open for lunch and dinner on Fridays.  Then on my way to Seven Hills, an old Jesuit institution. 



 This is 


 My new bike....I haven't been able to get a car, but at least I have something!





I stopped at the tapas place (Mr. Mick's) where the woman from that afternoon invited me to join them.  Turns out it was actually Tim Adam, his wife, some of their friends, and some employees celebrating a birthday.  They were wonderful.  There was live music (acoustic covers of Green Day, etc), a great patio, and fantastic wine.  Then I went to the local pub to continue the birthday celebration, where I proved I still suck at pool.

Saturday morning I got up and biked to the north end of the valley, Cardinham Estates.  My tire popped at the driveway of my stop.  Best thing ever.  Noel (pictured below) "supervised" my tire changing escapade.  Couldn't find a leak, then tore the valve from the back up, then found the leak, but then the tire was still flat.  Following is a list of my favorite quotes from Noel:

"She's a little pig-headed" (in reference to me)
"It's a slut of wine, easy to drink, and everyone likes it"
"It's like angel piss on your tonsils" (in reference to the muscat wine)

Noel was a sheep shearer starting at 13, and has been at this winery for over 20 years now.  I ended up spending 4 hours there.  Two other couples arrived and we were all treated to stories, tastings galore, a tour, tastings of different stages of wine, and puppies!













The other couples gave me a ride back, where we stopped at another winery/brewery.  Then on to tapas (again).  

This morning I woke up early (shocker) and walked the town.  Then drove off to visit a few more wineries on the way home.






Then I got to go climbing with a new friend from Switzerland.  I do miss climbing.  It was good in that we're about the same level of skill, but we both kept comparing the gym to home.  Evidently we were both spoiled just a little!

Hope everyone else had a good weekend as well!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like more fun than I ever have here!!! Glad you got to do it. Bike tire gonna be okay now?? Great pix. Love ya, Vicki.

    ReplyDelete